dinsdag 12 april 2011

Housewife

The term housewife was used in print for the first time in 1749, to refer to a sewingkit. Most often used was the term 'hussif'. There was no standard pattern , each was made by hand. Women used them at home or when traveling and soldiers used them when serving in the military.
Here you will find a pattern of a hussif in eighteenth-century style.

This is an example of an old pattern.


Here is another free pattern for this hussif, with beautiful embroidery



And here are the two hussifs  I made:








3 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi there! This is Jenny From The Southern Institute... I had to redraw for winners in the Sew Much Ado pattern giveaway and you won!! Would you please email me at thesoutherninstitute at gmail dot com with your name and email address? Thanks and congratulations!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hoi Baukje, de naaitasjes zijn heel mooi worden, ze komen me heel bekend voor (haha). Die 2e van bordeaux met die borduursels vind ik ook prachtig. Die ga ik maken, ik heb nog iets leuks liggen dat er op kan. Doei Dorien

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. This is the first time I've heard of a hussif. They seem pretty much like needle books to me, but I may be mistaken. They are all quite lovely, though. I've bookmarked the patterns you have linked for future reference. Thanks. :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen