donderdag 6 mei 2010

Alphabe Thursday

P is for Pèlerinage, the French word for pilgrimage.
Some kilometers from my house is the Christian pilgrimage route  to St Jaques de Compostelle (St James' Way).
St James' way is the pilgrimage to the Cathedral of Santiago in North-West Spain.
The way of St James has existed for over thousand years. It was one of the most important Christian pilgrimage during medieval times.

Legends holds that St James remains were carried by boat with two of his apostle's  from Jerusalem to norther Spain, where he was burned on the site what is now the city of Santiago de Compostela.
The ST James shell is a symbol which you can often see on the route. The scallop shell is the traditional emblem of James. Medieval Christians making the pilgrimage to his shrine often wore a scallop shell on their hat or clothes.   

Today, tens of thousands of Christian pilgrims and other travellers start each year from their front doorstep , or popular starting points across Europe, to make their way to Santiago. 
Most travel by foot and bicycle, some with a donkey or a horse. 

There are many ways you could take to Santiago but the French ways are the most popular.
The route that starts in Vezelay , passes through a village some kilometers from here. So even in my hameau you can often see people walking ..... 


The 

13 opmerkingen:

  1. What a great post about Spain (where I live!) & great blog. I'll be popping back to have another read through!
    Happy Alphabe-Thursday - and look forward to *seeing* you again next time!
    Mine’s HERE!

    XOXO LOLA:)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Oh, this was very interesting. I've never heard of St. James Way.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. The Catherdral is beautiful! How interesting that one of the routes passes so close to your home.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Oh, very neat. Thanks for sharing...I would not have taken this little journey otherwise.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I love medieval art and cathedrals. I hope to see some for real some day.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. An absolutely fascinating stop on Alphabe-Thursday's journey through "P".

    I am mesmerized by this post.

    It seemed in my mind that pilgrimmages were something that happened years ago...and I was surprised to read that this still happens!

    Thanks for this great post! You really help keep Alphabe-Thursday incredibly special.

    A+

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. such an interesting post, and it looks like quite a pilgramage ... love the shell design ... our world is sure interesting!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. I have wanted to do this for a long time. Someday. It is on my Bucket List!
    Great post!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. What an interesting post. I didn't know about this at all. Does Saint James refer to the brother of John? One of the pairs of fishing disciples?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. That is on my list of 'things to do' - don't know if I'll ever make it, but I'd love to!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. I love that James's symbol is a scallop shell... I didnt know that...The cathedral is just amazing...I would love to make a pilgrimage there....

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen